• Question: is science related to drama?

Asked by kirahchar to Alexandra, Alex, Ashley, Millie, Claire, Claudia, Damian, Daniel, Dave, Donna, Eóghan, Hannah, Helen, Jason, Jo, Joaquin, joeyshepherd, Laura, Lauren, Laurent, Leo, Liza, Marion, Nathan, Beccy on 22 Jun 2018.
    • Photo: Eóghan Forde

Eóghan Forde answered on 22 Jun 2018:

Hello Kirachar,

Quite often at my school, we were asked to come to the front of the class and talk without hesitating or deviating from a given topic. Our classmates would then put their hands up if they had any further questions following our talk. This would test our knowledge at the start of a lesson and has been useful in my journey as a scientist as we have to be able to confidently talk about our research in front of large groups of people. This is can be a lot like acting in your drama classes – as both require confidence and the ability to remember your lines!

Example: a student is given a pot plant and asked to talk without hesitation and deviation for one minute on the subject of photosynthesis.

I hope this helps!

• Photo: Donna MacCallum

Donna MacCallum answered on 22 Jun 2018:

A bit… it helps to be able to get the confidence to stand up and talk at conferences! Drama also helps with speaking about your research results with lots of different people

• Photo: Laura Hemming

Laura Hemming answered on 24 Jun 2018:

I definitely think so! If I were to win the money from this competition, I would like to create and conduct a short play which aims to communicate the findings of my interviews with prisoners. I think historically, there has been lots of friction between science and the arts, but I think we are now making progress in bridging this gap. I took both Psychology and Drama A-Levels and I also think that there are lots of other transferrable skills. For instance drama requires you to be observant and communicate well both written and orally – and Psychological sciences require these exact same skills.

• Photo: Ashley Akbari

Ashley Akbari answered on 24 Jun 2018:

As some others have mentioned – in order to speak about your research and findings, and encourage others to learn or take part confidence from drama and other subjects really do help

• Photo: Claire Donald

Claire Donald answered on 25 Jun 2018:

Absolutely! There is always a lot of drama in the lab! I once did a workshop on good presentation skills and it was a lot like a drama class. You need to be able to breathe properly, project your voice, be clear and make yourself understood. Also adding a bit of drama can get your point across with more umph!

• Photo: Lauren Burns

Lauren Burns answered on 26 Jun 2018:

There have been some great answers and I agree, science and drama are definitely related. I think there is a lot more of a fine-line between science and art, art is often used in therapy to make people feel better, there is also a Research as Art competition at our university where we have to take a photo that represents our research. So it definitely is not as black-and-white as people think.