Note – Login using your teacher account to monitor the chat on screen and download a copy of the chat transcript at the end. Here’s a guide to using your chat transcript.
Class discussion (you could put the zone home page on the screen as a stimulus here)
- Who is your favourite scientist so far? – Do a show of hands for each person.
- Have any of your students’ questions been answered?
- Write a list of questions you could ask the scientists to find out more about their work – keep these for the live chat.
Main activity – Live chat!
Note – Not all the scientists can make every chat but students will be meeting some of them today.
1. Explain how the live chat works:
- Click the name of the person you’d like to direct your question to (below the typing box) before you start typing.
- This makes it easier for the scientist to see your question.
- Click on a comment to reply to it – this links the conversation.
- You can see linked conversations by clicking the speech bubbles next to a comment.
- Don’t be rude, write in capital letters or spam.
- If you do, you’ll be blocked from the chat.
2. Get students logged onto the site individually or in small groups.
- Click CHAT at the top of the page to access the live chat.
If students haven’t set up their accounts yet, generate student registration link and share it with the class.
- If a student’s question didn’t get answered, they can post it in ASK.
- Students can VOTE for the scientist they think should win.
- Students continue to log into the site and ASK questions and VOTE until Friday 22nd June.
- Students fill in the survey on their profile after the event.